“Let’s go to the beach on January 9th”, said no Angeleno ever.
Going to the beach during the winter months, especially in LA, when you can’t expose your skin and get a few shades darker, is considered to be pointless by many I know. In fact, I’ve never really associated going to the beach during the months that have the letter “r” (well I guess with the exception of September).
Staying in Ocean Beach, San Francisco during a short weekend escapade, I took a nice meditative walk on the beach, took a few photos, got sprinkled on (by the rain) and thought of a few ways on how to enjoy the beach during the winter.
1. Wear the right gear. If you’re covered up with a scarf, a hat, a nice thick (down) jacket or coat and protective shoes with thick socks, it should not be uncomfortable at all.
2. Pick your sport: a meditative walk, a jog, a few sun salutes, or a quick seat in meditation.
3. Take your journal. The gushing waves will inspire you to reflect and write. Or, just reflect.
4. Take your hot beverage. Sure, it can be a hot toddy. If you’re in Ocean Beach, just go to Trouble Coffee. I totally approved their Americano.
5. Make it a habit, especially if you live near one. Remember that many people never have the opportunity to lay eyes on one of nature’s marvels.
2016 is going to be the year I spend more time with nature (and no, it does not need to be sunny).